If the DA dies not have the requisite paperwork for your court date, is this grounds for having the case dismissed?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the DA dies not have the requisite paperwork for your court date, is this grounds for having the case dismissed?

I was driving a rental car home from my parents’ house. It was snowing very heavily and the roads were terrible. I ended up sliding on the ice into a curb. This caused the front driver’s side tire to detach from the axle. I contacted the rental company and they told me they would take care of it and have the car towed. The next day, I was contacted by the police. They wrote me a court summons for “careless driving”. My court date was yesterday. When I met with the DA, she informed me that they did not have any of the necessary paperwork on hand (primarily meaning the accident report itself), and therefore I would have to return at a later date when they were more prepared.

Asked on January 30, 2015 under Accident Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The judge *could* have dismissed the case for this reason, but is not required to do so--there is considerable judicial discretion on this subject. Furthermore, even if the judge had dismissed, it would have been a "without prejudice" dismissal, since it would have been owing to a procedural problem (prosecutor not being ready) and would not have been a determination on the merits (i.e. a finding that you did not drive carelessly); therefore, even if it had been dismissed, the prosecutor could have simply re-filed the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption