What is the law regarding on call pay?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law regarding on call pay?

I work for an ambulance service that recently implemented a mandatory on call policy. Our

full-time employees must cover at least 8 hours a week

Asked on March 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are required by the employer to remain at the worksite (i.e. on station), then you must be paid at least minimum wage. If you are allowed to leave, then even if you are "on call," the employer does not need to pay you for the on call time--only for if/when you are called in/up and must respond. (Note that if someone could go home but chooses, for his/her own convenience, to remain onsite, then he/she does not have to be paid.)
If you work more than 40 hours in a week, you must receive overtime (time-and-half) for all time past 40 hours. The employer is free to pay more (e.g. double time), but is not required to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption