on a prbation violation when the judge says he is going to restore the case what does that mean.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

on a prbation violation when the judge says he is going to restore the case what does that mean.

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It sounds as though you were on some kind of deferred adjudication and if you successfully completed the terms of your probation your case would have been dismissed.  However, since you violated those terms the judge is going to "restore the case".  That is, you may have to serve the sentence that you would have been given absent your probation.

Without more fact it's hard to say for sure.  Also, I'm not admitted to practice in Virginia so possibly there is something here that I am missing.  What I do know is that you are in trouble.  Speak with the attorney who represented you originally.  If you didn't have an attorney at that time, then get one.  You need legal representation now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption