If I filled a claim on my homeowner’s policy but have yet to settle things, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I filled a claim on my homeowner’s policy but have yet to settle things, what are my rights?

The adjustor came out, had us get several bid, the contractor uncovered more damage and has been in negotiations with the adjustor. It is approaching 60 days and we still have not received the estimate from our adjustor and he is not returning my calls or emails. My insurance agent has talked with him a few times and he advises her that he’ll reach out to us. We still have heard nothing. I feel my homeowners are being negligent and this issue is causing stress on my marrage and quality of life. What do I do?

Asked on September 23, 2015 under Insurance Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Ultimately, if you feel that your insurer whether directly or through a third-party adjuster they hired is not honoring their obligations to pay a claim under your policy, your recourse would be to sue them for breach of contract and also for breach of the "implied warranty of good faith and fair dealing"--the obligation, added by law to all contracts, that the parties deal with each other fairly and in good faith. You could contact the insurer directly--go over and around the adjustor and speak to someone else there--describe the situation, and let them know that if you cannot get an answer and timeline for when your claim will be paid, you may, however, reluctantly, be forced to take legal action to protect your rights. Hopefully, that will move things along if not, you still have the right to sue, if necessary. If you speak with them by phone, follow-up with a letter or email summarizing the conversation and send some way or ways that you can prove delivery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption