Offer made on house contigent on inspection.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Offer made on house contigent on inspection.

Offer made on home contigent on
inspection. Earnest money paid.
Counter offer denied after b
inspection. Seller won’t give earnest

Asked on December 29, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If under the terms of the original contract of sale, you had the right to terminate the agreement based on the results of the inspection, and the  results of the inspection would in fact support termination (e.g. seller refusing to fix material or significant issues), then if you and the seller do not come to some agreement (e.g. money off the sell price) satisfactory to you, you may exercise your right to termination. If you do, the seller must return your escrow, as provided for in the contract. If they do not, you may sue them for breach of contract (for violating their contractual obligations) to get the money back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption