Obtaining US Citizenship

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Obtaining US Citizenship

I have an acquaintance, who has been living in the US illegally for at least 9
years. She has 3 children all born in NJ. Is there anything she can do to
obtain citizenship or some form of naturalization so that she can live a less
fearful life and can better provide for her children?

She does not work and has a boyfriend who helps her financially but he is also
here illegally. Wonderful, hard working people just trying to make a better
future for their boys.

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.


Asked on September 26, 2016 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Not much if she entered the country illegally.  Under the current immigration laws, there is not much that can be done to legalize her status.  If she entered legally and overstayed, once one of the children turns 21, then he/she can petition for her green card through adjustment of status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption