UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I received a paper that stated a warrant was issued for my arrest for failure to appear and answer charges pending against myself in the city of Richardson. It states to either plead not guilty and post a bond of $400 and wait to be notified for court date or plead no contest or guilty and waiving my right to a trial by judge/jury and paying the fine of $250. If I pay the fine instead of the bond, will the warrant be dismissed or will it take for me to pay the bond for the warrant to get dismissed.

Asked on October 5, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

When there is a warrant for your arrest, your basic rights are to know the nature of the charges and to have a reasonable bail set in your case.
With that in mind... it sounds like this a failure to appear warrant after some type of ticket offense.  The county and district courts usually just arrest you and do not give you the option of paying a fine to avoid an arrest.  If this is a JP or municipal warrant, call the clerk of the court and find out the local court's policies.  Most will just let you pay the fine and they will then pull the warrant...and life goes on. A few will make you come it, take a trip to the jail... but most do not do that because they would rather not pay the jail for housing their inmates. 
If you are going to contest the charges, then contact a bondsman and have them help you walk through the jail (i.e. do a quick turn bond).  Thereafter, contact the court to get a new date set and then appear and present your defense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption