Non-compete contracts

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Non-compete contracts

Hi, the company I work at was sold 6 months ago. The new owner is now 6months
later wanting people to sign these non-compete and non-soliciting contracts to be
employed. Can they do that since we are technically already employed by the
company? This is in the state of Indiana.

Asked on September 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can require you to do this on pain of termination: remember, unless you already have a still-in-effect (i.e. unexpired) written employment contract guarantying you employment, you are an "employee at will." An employee at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason. So if you don't sign these agreements, you can be terminated; and your continued employment, if you should sign them, is the "consideration" (thing of value) which will make the agreements enforceable against you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption