What to do if a sibling may have forgeda Will?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a sibling may have forgeda Will?

A friend of mines mother passed away a couple of weeks ago. She stayed with her the whole time. Her sister never came to see her. Before she went in for surgery the sister had her mother sign over the house to her (which seems to be forged). No Will was made. They said everything in the house was theirs. They changed locks on the doors. My friend’s mother gave her some things in the house but her sister won’t let her in to get it. What does she need to do to get whats hers? She is on disability and can’t afford a lawyer.

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your friend's loss and for the situation as it is.  What she needs to do is to be appointed as the administrator or the personal representative of the Mother's estate.  She needs to go down to the probate court in the county in which the mother resided at the time of her death and file a petition.  If she is indigent or the estate is indigent ask for fee waivers.  Once she is appointed she can bring a motion in court - which is a formal request to the court for some type of relief - to set aside the transfer as fraudulent.  Can she go down and see if legal aid can help her?  She can also possibly file a criminal complaint of fraud against the sister if the signature was forged.  Good luck to her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption