What to do about items taken by an heir of a tenant with a life estate?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about items taken by an heir of a tenant with a life estate?

I own a home that I bought from my sister and gave her a lifetime estate. She passed away leaving 2 grandchildren. Her grandson came in to get her belongings. Does he have the right to tear a air conditioner out of the wall? When I bought the house it had a washer, dryer, stove and refrigerator. Does he have the right to take it? She didn’t have a Will.

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the problems that have ensued.  The grandchildren have the right to her personal belongings and nothing else.  When you purchased the home you purchased it along with all the fixtures (the AC unit is a fixture as are lights that are wirded in) except for those specifically excluded in the sales contract.  Change the locks and get help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption