Whatare a tenant’s rights if no proof is given for utility bills?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatare a tenant’s rights if no proof is given for utility bills?

My landlord holds all the utility accounts in her name for the apartments that she rents. We are expected to pay our share of the utility bill on the day that the rent is due, the first of each month. We never see the bills ourselves; she simply sends out an email on the last day of each month giving us the total amount we are due (based on equal division among tenants in the apartments, not on actual individual usage) and we are expected to pay the full amount the next day. Is this lawful?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Let me understad this: you rent an apartment and it has a separate meter for electric but the landlord has it in her name and will not let you put it in yours, even though your lease states you are to pay electric?  I would tell your landlord that you will not pay the electric charges unless they ar verified that they are the bills for your apartment.  And that you wish to have the bill placed in your name.  It is really not unreasonable.  See what she says.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption