No fault divorce

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

No fault divorce

My fiance and I live in PA. He fooled
for divorce in February 2018. We sled
his esteemed wife for her address and
she refuses to give it to us. We sent
the paperwork to her mother’s and tools
her that. She refused to get them.
Well we received them back in the mail
today. Cam he still proceed with the
divorce? They have been separated for 4

Asked on March 16, 2018 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In a situation such as yours, there is a legal remedy known as "divorce by publication". By way of background, before any legal action can be taken against an individual they must first be given an opportunity to appear and explain their side. This is called "notice". Divorce by publication allows a spouse to be served notice of the divorce action even if there address is unknown. The filing spouse (the  "petitioner") must make a good faith search to find their missing spouse (the "respondent"). They have to present proof to a court that they made a genuine effort to locate their absent spouse's whereabouts. At this point, the petitioner will be allowed to serve the repondent by publishing notice of the divorce in a newspaper in the missing spouse's last known location; this is instead of the usual method of personal service. The court will then instruct the petitioner as to which newspaper should be used. Typically it will be in one that is in the area of the respndent's last known address. The respondent wiil have 30-60 days to file their answer. If they fail to do so, then the petitioner can file a request to enter a "divorce by default". Typically, this type of divorce is granted upon the terms requested by the petitioner (although the respondent is given a certain time in which they can appeal). At this point you should consult directly with a local divorce attorney as they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption