NJ Parole Officer advised these misdeamor and felony charges would be expunged after 10 years. How can I verify this has occured?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

NJ Parole Officer advised these misdeamor and felony charges would be expunged after 10 years. How can I verify this has occured?

Served 4 months time in NJ for terroristic threats against live in partner 9 years ago. After release, cited for contempt for telephone contact that was recorded. Haven’t contacted plaintiff nor lived there since. Canada ,on a passport check , refused me entrance for work related travel and it would be necessary for professional or personal visits to have this matter cleared. I am a truck driver and my employment is placed at risk if I cannot enter Canada.

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You're going to have to file an application with the New Jersey courts, at least 10 years after the last incident, for expungement.  You should have an attorney handle this, because notice has to be given to the prosecutor's office and there may be objections to meet;  you would probably not have enough time to hire an attorney and get a good response together, if you start this on your own and have objections filed.  The objections might come from the victim, as well, since the prosecutor's office will also follow up with them in this situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption