NJ Family Injured In Car Accident Awarded $17 Million In Damages
Get Legal Help Today
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
A New Jersey family whose car was hit head on when another driver crossed over the center line was recently awarded over $17 million in damages’ and with New Jersey’s new prejudgment interest law, that figure will increase to over $20 million.
New Jersey Auto Accident
This New Jersey auto accident injured nearly the entire family. According to news reports, the Roden family’ both parents and their three young children’ were traveling on New Jersey’s Route 9 when another vehicle crossed over the center line and hit their vehicle head on. All of the passengers except for the husband were seriously injured in the accident.
The family sued the driver of the other car and a jury recently awarded them more than $17 million in damages. Here’s a breakdown of those damages:
- Jennifer (mother) suffered two broken ankles and was awarded $1.5 million for her injuries and for witnessing the trauma inflicted on her children.
- Alvin (father) did not suffer any injuries, but was awarded $50,000 for witnessing the trauma inflicted on his children.
- Madeline (6 year old daughter) suffered a spinal injury that caused permanent leg paralysis and was awarded $10 million.
- Victoria (4 year old daughter) suffered head and stomach injuries requiring surgery and was awarded $2 million.
- Gavin (4 month old son) suffered a fractured leg and a traumatic brain injury and was awarded $4 million.
However, New Jersey’s new prejudgment interest law, which provides interest from the time of the accident until payment is received, will push the award to over $20 million.
Don’t settle without consulting counsel
Car accident cases are not always straight forward’ especially when there are multiple and serious injuries like those the Roden family experienced. Experienced car accident attorneys know how the system works, understand how insurance companies operate and are there to represent your best interests. When you’ve been injured, make sure to take advantage of the free consultations that most car accident lawyers offer so that you don’t end up settling for less than you’re entitled to.