What is the next step in a lawsuit if the plaintiff failed to answer admissions and interrogatories?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the next step in a lawsuit if the plaintiff failed to answer admissions and interrogatories?

I went to court last week for a conference to see where both sided were. The credit card company (plaintiff) did not produce admissions or discovery. Now, I think the judge wants me (defendant) to produce a summary judgement because the plaintiff failed to answer admissions in the 30 day allotted time. What is my next step?

Asked on August 29, 2011 Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In the legal process after a lawsuit is filed against a person, written disocvery is typically served upon each side consisting of written interrogatories, document production requests and requests for admissions. If a party does not respond within the time required to this discovey, the side serving it should file a motion to compel and to deem requests for admissions admitted. If the requests are deemed admitted, the admissions could potentially end the case.

From what you have written, it seems that you need to file a motion against the credit card company to answer the interrogatories served and to deem the admissions admitted. Your county might have a legal aid program to assist you in this project.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption