Is a quitclaim deed that has not been recorded still valid?

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a quitclaim deed that has not been recorded still valid?

My father-in-law signed a quit-claim deed to his home over to my husband and myself; it was notorized but my husband never had it recorded. Unfortunately my father-in-law has passed on and we are not sure if the property would still be part of his estate. It states that any property he owned at the time of his death would be divided equally between his 2 children. My sister-in-law was the executor of his Will and we want to know if we need to have her sign any papers to make the transfer legal? The one form Transfer of Real Property Tax that he signed and notorized is unfortunately outdated and there is a revised document that would need his signature.

Asked on February 5, 2015 under Estate Planning, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

An unrecorded quit claim deed is still valid; there is no time limit on recording a deed. The purpose of recording a deed is to give notice to the world that there has been a change in ownership or that there has been an encumbrance made against the real estate. So a deed must be recorded to be effective against a creditor or a subsequent purchaser for valuable consideration without notice but it need not be recorded to be binding on the parties to the transaction and to their heirs. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption