New York Name Change

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2010

If you live in New York and would like to change your name, you will find that the procedure is not as difficult as you might expect. There are two required forms which must be filed with the proper court along with a fee, comprising most of the process. Below is additional information to help you get started.

What forms are required for a New York name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in New York:

• Name Change Petition
  • Name Change Order

These forms can be found on the New York Court System website, and the NYC-specific forms may be found here.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in New York?

The completed forms must be filed with the county court clerk of the county where you currently live, or with the civil court if you live in NYC.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court can notarize the Name Change Petition for free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in New York?

Yes. The fee is $210 ($65 in NYC). Oftentimes a fee waiver may be obtained with a showing of sufficient financial hardship. Check with your local court clerk.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?Maybe. Check with your local court clerk for more details.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice of your name change must be published in a local newspaper. Check with your local court clerk for more details.

Are there any other requirements?

If you were born in the state of the New York, you must have an original or certified copy of your Birth Certificate.