Neighbors stuff is on my property

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Neighbors stuff is on my property

I bought a house 2 years ago. A survey was done and my property line is 20-25 feet into my neighbors ‘property’. They have sheds and a fence line. They told me it’s been that way for over 10 years. What are my options?

Asked on May 14, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to force them to move their shed and fence: as a general matter, a neighbor has no right to infringe on your property or put structures on it, and they can be compelled to remove any trespassing items. To do this, you would have to go to court and get a court order confirming the boundaries and ordering the removal.
Note that if you allow someone to "take" and occupy some of your property for long enough, they can end up owning it under the doctrine of "adverse possession." It requires 15 years (as well as meetng certain other criteria) in your state, so you are still in time to do something about this; however, if you ignore the issue long enough (for a few more years), you may let them get some of your land. You should meet with a real estate attorney to discuss the situation and, if your neighbor will voluntarily relocate these things, bring the appropriate legal action to make sure you do not lose any of your land.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption