Neighbors house causing damages to my house

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Neighbors house causing damages to my house

I live in a rowhome with neighbors
attached to both sides. I live in
Baltimore County, MD. My neighbor has a
roof in disrepair and it is causing
water damage to the inside of my house
as well as to the floor joists. I have
contacted code enforcement and she was
fined 6000 but that has not fixed the
original problem as the leak remains.
Her house was foreclosed on last year
and was sold at auction but the court
wouldn’t ratify it for some reason. I
have no idea where to go from here and I
need to stop this damage ASAP before my
floor joists rot. Please help.

Asked on January 30, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your neighbor for nuisance which is an unreasonable interference with the use and enjoyment of your property.
Damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) are an inadequate remedy because the continuing leak will result in multiplicity of lawsuits, and because land is unique.
When damages are inadequate, your remedy is an injunction to stop the leak.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption