What to do if a neighbor’s 8 year old broke their arm on our trampoline?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a neighbor’s 8 year old broke their arm on our trampoline?

My son invited him on. And they together did not zip shut the inclosure and the neighbor fell off backwards, breaking his arm. The parents home is in direct view of the trampoline from their home and on every occasion gave him permission and knew he was on it. The parents are very negligent to being attentive to their children in the neighborhood as they have almost been hit by cars, come into my garage, home and yard without my permission. Afraid I will be sued over trampoline injury. How do I fight this considering every time they knew there child was on it and injury could occur?

Asked on July 29, 2013 under Personal Injury, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, as the owner of the property, you are liable for the child's injury regardless of the action or inaction of the child's parents.

It would be advisable to contact your homeowner's insurance carrier.  When the child completes his medical treatment, his parents will file a personal injury claim on behalf of their son with your homeowner's insurance carrier seeking compensation for his medical bills and pain and suffering.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the information in the medical reports which document the nature and extent of the injury.

If the case is settled with your homeowner's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.  If the case is NOT settled with your homeowner's insurance carrier, the parents will file a lawsuit against you based on premises liability.  Your homeowner's insurance carrier will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you, and will handle the case for you.

Don"t worry about a lawsuit because it may be a year or more before a potential lawsuit is filed.  Most of these cases settle with the insurance company without even filing a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption