Neighbor building second house in backyard

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Neighbor building second house in backyard

My neighbor is building a separate house with 9ft ceilings in the backyard of his
8k sqft lot behind his main house. The entrance door of the new house is
towards my bedroom about 15ft away. He is planning to rent this place out.
I am worried about increased noise and reduced privacy as the windows look over
our lot fence is not high enough.
Is there a way to stop this building or not permitting to rent out?

Asked on January 1, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If he has a permit and is within the zoning rules for this land in your community, then there is nothing you can do: whether it increases your noise or decreases your privacy, he is allowed to build anything on his land permitted by the land use laws. If he is violating those laws, then you can file a complaint with your local building or zoning department to try and stop this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption