Need to determine child support based on new information

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Need to determine child support based on new information

I am in Connecticut and recently went through a divorce. The court determined child support payments I need to make to my wife based on my income and hers. Now I find out my ex-wife has been dating a woman for sometime before the divorce and now plans to have her move in with her and my son who is 13. As they are in a committed relationship and she will be living with my ex-wife, does the girlfriend’s income count towards the total household income with my ex-wife’s and should the child support payments I am making be adjusted due to this information?

Asked on May 13, 2019 under Family Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, while cohabitation can affect spousal support (e.g. alimony), it does NOT affect child support, since the girlfriend (or were your wife to remarry, the new spouse/stepparent) has no legal obligation to support your children (unlike you, who have such an obligation). Since the significant other will not be obligated to spend even $0.01 (one cent) on your children, their income does not affect child support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption