Need help on real estate buy out

UPDATED: May 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Need help on real estate buy out

I purchased a forclosed home with a business partner almost a year ago. The home required renovations which my partner and I completed, bringing the assesed value of the home up $68,000 from it’s assesed value when purchased. Originally, we planned on renovating the home and renting it out for a monthly profit to both parties involved however since the renovation has been completed my partner wants to “buy me out” of the property to own and live in the home himself. What is the proper way of coming to a “buy out” price in this case? If we cannot agree what are my options?

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The assessed value is less relevant that the actual practice you paid when you bought the home.

If you were up $68,000 on paper after the improvements, good for both of you.

Now if he wants to buy you out, if you and he can't agree on a price, you can get a real estate agent or other person to be the arbitrator to determine the fair market value and he can pay you half of that for your share.  He'll argue that he should only pay half the value after normal sales commissions and selling expense (not a bad argument), and you may also squabble at who put in greater effort in the remodel. You'll say this is not the time to sell, and you may be right (or wrong). 

One approach is you guys could do a buy sell. He can offer you a price to buy him out, and if you don't take it he can buy you out at the same price, or you can do the flip. Or you can both agree on a price and then flip a coin -- the winner can buy it at that price.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption