Who is responsible for the cost of a water leak repair in a condo?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is responsible for the cost of a water leak repair in a condo?

I have tenants living in my condominium unit. There has been an on and off leak to the unit under mine for several months. I have had several plumbers look into it and have changed the shower and faucet fixtures in the bathroom. The leak has been persistent after all this so I recommended to the unit owner below to contact another plumber. Also we (myself and the unit owner below) both have tried contacting the condominium association personnel several times to take a look as well because at this point we believed that the leak was stemming from the water pipes behind the walls. Anyway, the condo association folks finally came to look at the situation and declared it an “emergency” and went ahead and called another plumber who cut out the drywall and found out that the shower diverter pipe was the reason behind the mysterious leak. So at this point the plumber repaired the piping and they also called in a contractor to fix the drywall damage to the unit below. After a 3 month period they sent me a bill close to $4,000 for the repairs. Am I legally obligated to pay this bill?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you need to read is the "covenants, conditions & restrictions" recorded on your condominium as well as any rules concerning the association's obligations to maintain and repair common area matters. You need to ascertain whether or not the association is responsible for paying for the pipe's repairs as a common area maintenance that it is obligated to take care of.

The best thing for you to do is ask for the factual and legal basis for the bill (from the plumber from) to the association for work that you did not authorize on your home and which you did not seem to sign a written contract with the plumber for.

Sentiment is that if you did not sign any contract for the plumber's work on your property but the association did, then the association where your complex is should pay the $4,000 or so bill for repairs, not you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption