Need advice on unemployment case denial

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Need advice on unemployment case denial

I was recently given ultimatum from VP of sales on a job I have been at for 1 year. ‘Resign, or be put on a 30 day sales plan I guarantee you won’t be able to meet.’ They offered me 2 weeks severance if I resigned. I said NO, I can’t quit because I have a family and if I quit I won’t be able to collect unemployment. So, I called in HR, who promised me they would not contend unemployment. I still did not officially resign, but verbally said I would leave the company. I filed for unemployment and they contended it and told Ohio unemployment I quit. Therefore it was denied. That’s not fair game.

Asked on October 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) You can appeal the denial internally within the agency: go to the agency website or contact them by phone to inquire into the appeals process.
2) If your appeal in-agency is denied, you have the right to file a legal action and bring the matter to court and let a judge decide; you should be able to get information about that, too, from the agency, though since such an appeal can be procedurally difficult or complex, you may wish to hire a lawyer who handles such matters to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption