What to do regarding a life estate and trasnfer of property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a life estate and trasnfer of property?

My sister deeded her house over to me. She will live in it until death and I have in my Will that if I die before her, the house is to revert back to her if she is still alive. I just want to know if I covered all the bases by recording all this at the courthouse or if I have to have additional papers?

Asked on October 25, 2017 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

So you are doing some estate planning and that is great!  But it is best to seek help in person - even on a consultation basis - from an attorney in your area.  First, does the deed state she has a life estate?  Becuase if the deed does not then you just outright own the house. If you put in the Will when you die it "reverts back" I think it will be interprested to mean that if you die before her she gets that asset.  Please have someone look at the documents.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption