Can I apply for naturalization if I made multiple trips outside of the U.S.?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I apply for naturalization if I made multiple trips outside of the U.S.?

I would like to apply for naturalization but I have made 5 long trips outside the U.S. in the past 5 years. The first trip the lasted 176 days, second trip was 177 days, the third trip was 172 days, the fourth trip was 104 days and the fifth trip lasted 89

days. My total physical stay in the U.S. in the past 5 years was around 34 months. Could there be any issues because of these longs trips? All other requirements are met. I became permanent resident almost 5 years ago. All trips were to Pakistan.

Asked on October 1, 2018 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have to actually count the time you were physically present in the US in the past 5 years and if it is even 1 day less than what you were supposed to be in order to be eligible to naturalize, they will deny your application and tell you to wait until you have accrued enough physical presence time in the US.  You will also need to be able to account for the reasons you were outside the US for such long stretches of time to show that you are in fact a permanent resident and have intent to reside permanently in the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption