If my 2 siblings and I inherited a house, can the house be sold if one of us doesn’t want to sell it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 2 siblings and I inherited a house, can the house be sold if one of us doesn’t want to sell it?

My mom died 9 months ago and left her house to all 3 of her children. My brother and I want the house sold while my sister refuses to even allow a buyout. I will be going to probate court at the end of the month to be named the executor because my niece is being removed. What can my brother and I do to solve this problem?

Asked on August 4, 2018 under Estate Planning, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Because the house is left to all three heirs, then all three heirs will need to agree to insure that the title passes clearly to the new owner....which does make things complicated when you have a 2:1 split and one heir is refusing to sign.  However, because the case has been submitted to probate and you are being named the executor, you simply need to ask the court for permission to sell the house and to divide the proceeds.  Most courts will enter a sale order when a property cannot be easily divided and the heirs do not agree on how to dispose of an asset.  You also need to get permission form the probate court to exclude anyone from using the house while you are attempting to sell it.  You can cite to the prior issues with the realtor as the reason why this is necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption