What to do if my work computer was stolen from my car and my employer wants me to pay for it?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my work computer was stolen from my car and my employer wants me to pay for it?

The computer was stolen not on company time while my car was parked at my home. Do I owe replacement cost for the computer and the software on the computer? Or do I owe depreciated value of the computer (it was about 2 years old)? Or do I owe for the computer at all?

Asked on October 7, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The problem here  - and the ultimate issue - is whose insurance coverage will cover the loss of the computer.  You need to read your insurance policy and see if the computer wold be covered, although I highly doubt it as it was not your property.  But it may be so you need to look.  The issue with your employer is if his property is covered when it leaves his property (office).  I am sure that it was insured for theft on premises.  It is off premises that matters.  There could be a special clause that was negotiated in their insurance contract covering the loss or theft of the computers when off premises and used by their employees.  Otherwise, it depends on your agreement with your employer and the terms of your employment.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption