What to do if my wife was rear-ended by a drunk driver?

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife was rear-ended by a drunk driver?

He showed proof of insurance before being arrested for DUI. I called his insurance to file a claim and was told that he has not made his payment and that his policy was in a grace period and would be cancelled if he does not make his payment in 2 days. They are not wanting to cover the accident unless he makes that payment. Can they refuse coverage? I would think that a grace period would still be providing coverage.

Asked on April 8, 2014 under Accident Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the grace period the person that struck your spouse's vehicle has time to cure his default under the policy of insurance. From what you have written, I suggest that your wife consult with a personal injury attorney in your locality. One can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption