If my wife was given the wrong medication while in a nursing home, do I have grounds for a lawsuit?

UPDATED: Sep 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife was given the wrong medication while in a nursing home, do I have grounds for a lawsuit?

Asked on September 27, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Iowa


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Medical malpractice is negligence.  With regard to the nursing home, negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable nursing home would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).

If your wife suffered adverse consequences from being given the wrong medication, she has a claim against the nursing home for negligence.  If adverse consequences, injury, etc. did not occur, she wouldn't have much of a case against the nursing home.

Prior to filing a  lawsuit against the nursing home for negligence, it may be possible to settle the case with the nursing home's insurance carrier.  Your wife's claim filed with that insurance carrier should include her medical bills and medical reports.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of her injury/illness from being given the wrong medication, and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.

If the case is settled with the insurance company for the nursing home, NO lawsuit is filed.

If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the nursing home's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the nursing home.  If the case is NOT settled with the nursing home's insurance carrier, your wife's lawsuit for negligence must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or she will lose her rights forever in the matter.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There are two different elements to a successful lawsuit: liability, and damages.

Liability is the obligation to pay compensation, and is based on fault: did the other party do something negligent, or unreasonable careless, violating their duty of care? Giving a nursing home patient the wrong medication may very well be negligent, and so could give rise to liability.

But there also must be damages, or some injury or cost, caused by the negligent act. If your wife did not suffer some injury from the wrong medicine, or incure medical costs (e.g. had to be taken to the hospital, and paid something out of pocket for it), there is no "damage" in a legal sense, and so you would not get any compensation. Even if there was some mild or modest damage--she was sickened for a few days; you had to pay $200 in a hospital co-pay; etc.--it would not be worth suing, since the amount you could recover would be so much less than the cost of the lawsuit (for this kind of case, you'd have to hire a medical expert, and they do not work cheap). The compensation you can get is related to the extent or severity of your damages. Only if your wife was greatly injured or incurred significant medical costs might a lawsuit be worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption