What to do about a pre-existing condition and Medicare?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a pre-existing condition and Medicare?

My wife was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease 9 years ago while insured under a health insurance policy at my work. The company I worked for is self insured however the policy is administered by another company. She is turning 65 in January and is no longer eligible to be insured on this policy but will have to go on Medicare. Since this is a pre-existing condition while on the policy are they still responsible for coverage?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Insurance Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You and your wife need to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of insurance law as well as a health insurance broker as to what options you have concerning your wife's existing Parkinson's condition.

My understanding of the recent Supreme Court's ruling on President Obama's health care legislation is that the insurance carrier for your wife's current health insurance policy has to write her a similar individual policy that you and she end up paying for out of pocket for similar yearly premiums that she is being assessed presently.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption