If I signed divorce papers and returned them within the allotted time, how long doesmy spousehave to actually file them?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed divorce papers and returned them within the allotted time, how long doesmy spousehave to actually file them?

My wife left me and filed for divorce. It’s been about a year since I turned the papers into her and nothing has happened.

Asked on January 20, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Well your divorce can be granted without her response. In Pennsylvania, depending on where she lives, she has 30, 60 or 90 days to respond to your request for divorce.  If she fails to do so, you need to show she was given notice. This is generally known as proper service of process in civil litigation terms. Once you show she knew because she was properly served and she failed to respond in a timely manner, the divorce should be granted without her presence.  Whether you get what you ask for will depend on the court and of course, issues of justice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption