If my wife has passed away and had a credit card in her name, am I responsible for her debt?

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife has passed away and had a credit card in her name, am I responsible for her debt?

She does not have any assets. Our mortgage is upside down. Do I just not pay credit card. It is a size able balance. What can the credit card company do. I was just an authorized user.

Asked on October 26, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Generally, if the account was not yours, in that your wife was the one who opened up the account and signed the cardholder agreement, then her estate is responsible for the debt, not you personally.  An authorized user is not the same as an owner.  The credit card will indeed try and come after you and try and bully you to pay the balance.  You can tell them that your wife died and that she left no assets and that she has no estate to probate.  They may sue her estate and at that point you may want to get some legal advice on what to do.  But in the meantime, do not pay anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption