If my wife misses out on a job opportunity due to the screening lab’s negligence, do we have a viable case against the lab?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife misses out on a job opportunity due to the screening lab’s negligence, do we have a viable case against the lab?

She went to the lab to give her urine sample for the drug test. This was three weeks ago. Every time my wife has spoken with the lab, they have given her a different story regarding why it is taking so long to process her test. Her potential employer informed her this morning that, if it takes much long, they will have to hire someone else and she will miss out on this job opportunity. We are very upset about the runaround the lab is giving us and their utter incompetence with processing a simple routine drug screen.

Asked on October 28, 2015 under Business Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If your wife loses the job opportunity, she could sue the lab for negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable lab would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).
Damages (monetary compensation) in the lawsuit for negligence would be lost income.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption