My wife has a condo that I’ve been sharing the payment on since we were engaged, what is my obligation to become equal owner?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My wife has a condo that I’ve been sharing the payment on since we were engaged, what is my obligation to become equal owner?

The property (rental) has had an upside down mortgage when I started making payments, and that has not changed. My wife thinks I should buy-in to the property based on her original investment before I ever knew her. I believe it’s based solely on the value of the property when I started sharing the payments, which was less than what she owed, so I shouldn’t be obligated to pay anything more than the mortgage payment. Who is correct?

Asked on July 21, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Or maybe it should be half the the value of the property at the time you started paying the mortgage and not the amount of the mortgage.  They are different.  It appears that you two will not be able to agree at this stage so I would suggest that you come to a compromise.  You need to compile all the numbers from each perspective and then come to an agreement.  But consider this: if there has been an increased amount of equity since your wife purchased the condo and you bought in to it, she may be entitled to the increase amount up to that point when you sell as separate property.  In other words, she may be entitled to more than the half you may think that you will receive. Think about it. And agree to things in writing. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption