If my wife had a broken piece of a dental drill bit in her gums, would this qualify for medical malpractice?

UPDATED: May 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife had a broken piece of a dental drill bit in her gums, would this qualify for medical malpractice?

My wife had a root canal done 8 years ago and since then has had horribly bad breath and pain in her mouth. She recently gave in to the pain and saw a new dentist. The dentist realized the root canal wasn’t performed correctly. They redid the root canal and found a piece of drill bit that had broken off and been there since the original surgery.

Asked on May 25, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your wife may have a viable malpractice case. Leaving a foreign object in a patient's body is usually malpractice (except in the case of objects that should be left there, like surgical staples, or ones which are deemed harmless, like sutures that dissolve). Normally, a malpractice action must be brought within 7 years of the surgery, or within 3 years of when the injury is discovered, whichever comes first; however, MA does not put the 7 year limit on "foreign object" malpractice. So long as your wife institues a lawsuit within 3 years of realizing that a piece of drill bit had been left behind, she may be able to recover for pain and suffering and new medical costs. From what you write, it would be well worthwhile for her to consult with a malpractice attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption