How frequently can someone visit the US for a 6 month stay each visit?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How frequently can someone visit the US for a 6 month stay each visit?

My wife brings her parents from Peru to watch our son. Each time one of them come, they are given 6 months to stay. When one goes back the other one comes. So each one is in the US for 6 months, then home in Peru for 6 months. Well we sent one of her parents home but need to bring him back after only 2 months. We want to know if it will be a problem with immigration and if they will give him the full 6 months here?

Asked on September 16, 2014 under Immigration Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are applying for a B2 Visitor's Visa, correct? If he goes back and forth too often it will not appear to be a "visitor's visa"  and you could indeed get in to trouble later on of you apply again. Please speak with an Immigration attorney about the possibility of sponsoring your in laws. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption