What to do if I moved into my new home 3 years ago and even though I had a 1 year builder’s warranty I could not get the builder to fix problems?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I moved into my new home 3 years ago and even though I had a 1 year builder’s warranty I could not get the builder to fix problems?

Now, over 3 years later the builder is telling us that they will look into problems but if they don’t actually find a problem we have to pay for the repairs. An example of this is that we having loud dripping noises between a certain wall, and the dripping wakes us up at night when our grown boys take a shower after work. The builder continues to tell us that there is no water leaks without looking into the issue, and the noise is the other part of the problem. We informed them of the problem 3 months after moving in, and they did fix an identical problem in another part of the home.

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Okay well you probably should have brought an action within the one year in order to cash in on the warranty.  But maybe there is a way around this.  You will have to brin g the contract to ana ttorney to read.  You could try and use the argument that your time frame for the warranty (a statute of limitations so to speak) was "tolled" or suspended as you gave notice within the time frame agreed to in the contract.  Hopefully it was in writing.  There could also be breach of contract claims.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption