If my wife and I are separated, can she hire a broker to sell our house without my consent?

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife and I are separated, can she hire a broker to sell our house without my consent?

Not legally separated; both on mortgage.

Asked on June 19, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Can she or should she?  She can but will any acceptance of an offer be binding?  No, because you did not accept the offer and you will not be signing any contracts.  Now I do have to ask: you said that you are both on the mortgage.  I am so hoping that you are also both on the title to the property (the deed).  And that is what I am assuming when answering this question.  But regardless when a prospective purchaser does the title search on the property the mortgage in both your names would come up and that will be a big red flag that something not so right is up. I would seek some legal help here and file some type of order restraining her from listing or transferring the property in any way.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption