If my wife and her mom bought a house together, doI have rights to it?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife and her mom bought a house together, doI have rights to it?

 I didn’t know it was in both of their names.

Asked on January 2, 2011 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Assumedly half of the interest in the house is your wife's.  When and how she paid for that half will impact on the answer here, regardless of how the title to the property is held.  In other words, did she purchase the home during your marriage?  With what would be considered marital funds?  Then it is likely that the Court will see her portion as marital property.  If, however, she purchased the property prior to the marriage with non-marital funds then you will probably be out of luck. It will be considered separate property.  It would be best for you to contact an attorney in your area to discuss this further.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption