What to do if my wife abandoned me and took my kids?

UPDATED: Dec 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife abandoned me and took my kids?

It’s now been 36 days. She hasn’t let me see my 2 children, ages 1 and 3. All she does say to me is that she’ll think about letting me see them but then never contacts me.

Asked on December 25, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It seems that your wife is playing games and using your children as pawns in the process.  As a parent, she has the right to take the kids.  To place restrictions on her rights, you need to file for divorce combined with a custody suit.  Once you file, you can request the court to either grant you custody or to impose regular periods of visitation which allow you access to the children.  You can also ask the court for extended periods of time to make up for the 36 day absence from your kids.  You can try to file on your own, but it would be better if you can get a family law attorney (or family law clinic) to help you.  They will be able to get you a hearing in front of the judge more quickly so that you can begin reinitiating contact with your children as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption