If my widowed mother passed away last year and I paid for her funeral, how do I get reimbursed from her estate?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my widowed mother passed away last year and I paid for her funeral, how do I get reimbursed from her estate?

Her only asset is $900 in a checking account. Her Will states the money go first to reimburse funeral costs. I paid for the funeral. How do I get the $900?

Asked on October 4, 2014 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Florida has a method for probating a small estate. The best thing for you to do is to go to the Probate Court in the county in which your Mother resided and ask the clerk for help since you are Pro Se (going it without a lawyer).  While the clerks can not give legal advice they can tell you what the court will except.  For example, in Lee County they accept a Small Estate Affidavit so long as the funds do not exceed the funeral cost.  That may be helpful to you.  I will give you a link to their probate court site.  This will give you an idea of what you may need in your county.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption