what to do if my wages are being garnished for a debt that actually lists my mother as the original debtor?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what to do if my wages are being garnished for a debt that actually lists my mother as the original debtor?

She lives with me so they are now going after me. I’m not even sure how they got my SSN. This is the third time but in the previous EWO, my claim of exemption was not objected. So now I have to request a hearing. I don’t have any disposable income and I can support this, but I feel a little uneasy this time around. Should I take an attorney with me to court or is this something I can probably handle on my own.

Asked on November 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, I would consult with and take an attorney with you to court.  It is time that the matter was resolved completely and I think that you need to get to the bottom of how they did obtain your social security number or a judgement against you for the debt of another.  This is completely illegal unless you were also an original debtor to the creditor.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption