What to do if my vehicle scrapped the rear bumper of another vehicle in a parking lot?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my vehicle scrapped the rear bumper of another vehicle in a parking lot?

After waiting for a while to meet the owner of the vehicle, I left. Hours later, a sheriff came to my house asking about the accident and served me a summons for hitting an unattended vehicle and leaving scene without reporting. What’s the best way for me to approach this case?

Asked on November 18, 2013 under Accident Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Well you have to tell the truth.  That's always the best way to approach it. Did you leave a note?  Anything that could identify you or have some one call you?  You need to report this to your insurance company as well asap.  I would have an attorney tale a look at that summons and see if any charges could come of it. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption