What to do if my uncle passed away in Germany and we are trying to claim him?

UPDATED: May 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my uncle passed away in Germany and we are trying to claim him?

He’s a US citizen and worked at Kaiserslautern Base. They will John Doe him if not claimed. The casualty area that we are working with stated that until a next of kin is established we cannot claim his body. He is the brother of my mother, however, he has a daughter that has been calling asking for his Will. His biological daughter was adopted in the 60’s by another man that her mother remarried. The casualty center now said that we have to prove that she was adopted in order for my mother to be considered the next of kin. How can we prove that my uncle’s daughter was legally adopted by her stepfather?

Asked on May 7, 2012 under Estate Planning, Hawaii


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do since time is of the essence is to contact the nearest United States embassy in Germany and seek assistance since you are an American citizen and your uncle was one as well.

The way to ascertain if you uncle's daughter was legally adopted is to consult with a family law attorney in the county and state where you believe the adoption was done per a court order and see if the consulted attorney obatin a certified copy of the adoption order to provide you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption