What to do if my uncle passed away and a cousin had power of attorney and says he had nothing but I know this is not true?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my uncle passed away and a cousin had power of attorney and says he had nothing but I know this is not true?

My uncle told me that he had to file taxes on $1,000 interest earned on savings. I am joint with her on his Will, which she now says she can’t find. What can I do?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Estate Planning, Michigan


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Do you have a copy of your uncle's will?  That would help but is not absolutely necessary.  You should consult a probate and estate lawyer in your area.  If you know the lawyer who drafted the will, you should contact him or her since they probably have a copy of the will (they might have the original).

Because you were named as a beneficiary in a will, you probably have the right to file a petition and open an estate on behalf of your uncle.  You would have that right in Florida.  This will force your cousin to disclose your uncle's assets and produce the will. 

Not having the original or a copy of the will makes probate more difficult.  However, it does not mean all is lost and I encourage you to consult a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption