If my truck was repossessed 12 years ago and has been in collections for some time now, what to do about a pending judgement?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my truck was repossessed 12 years ago and has been in collections for some time now, what to do about a pending judgement?

The repssession is due to fall off my credit report soon. Recently I was contacted by a new collections agency that said they want to file a judgement. What is the statue of limitations on filing after 12 years? This seems very unfair. They are not willing to work out a fair payment I can afford either.

Asked on June 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under most states in this country a judgment is good for ten (10) years and if not renewed within this ten (10) year period the judgement is then void after the passage of such period of time. In your matter, there is a chance that the claim against you if there is no judgment is time barred by your state's statute of limitations.

If there is a judgment against you, and if it is more than ten (10) years old and has not been renewed, then it may no longer have any legal force and effect.

I suggest that you consult with a debt collection attorney further about the repossession issue and whether the debt is still legally collectible against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption