What to do if my tenant has moved in a convicted sex offender who was not on the lease or application?

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my tenant has moved in a convicted sex offender who was not on the lease or application?

Can I make her kick them out? Can I evict everyone?

Asked on July 23, 2011 Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The written lease between you and the tenant for the rented apartment controls each other's obligations for the unit. If the convicted sex offender is not on the lease, he or she would be the guest of the tenant. The lease might have language as to how long a guest can be in the unit at a given time.

If it does, write the tenant a note about the limitation and advise him or her that you object to the convicted sex offender as being a tenant at the unit being rented and if the convicted sex offender stays longer than what the lease says for a guest, then you will consider that there has been a breach of the agreement and may terminate the lease.

If the lease is silent as to time a guest can be in the unit, give the tenant 3 to 5 days to have the convicted sex offender leave and if that does not happen, be prepared to terminate the lease for having a new tenant in the unit that was never agreed to by you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption