My Stepsister’s attorney charged 40%. The house sold for $500,000.00. Yet he is receiving 40% of the gross value of the house which is $820,000.00.

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My Stepsister’s attorney charged 40%. The house sold for $500,000.00. Yet he is receiving 40% of the gross value of the house which is $820,000.00.

Is this practice normal? I don’t understand how he is paid based on the gross value of the house and not the actual sale price? Is this legal? Is there any recourse? I am totally baffled that anyone beside the family should recieve most of the money! 40% is more than most get, but, how is it that he gets most of everything??????

Asked on June 27, 2009 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Hello.  Your question is a little confusing and you may want to re-write it and send it again.  Is the attorney doing the Probate of the Estate, including the closing for the sale of the house?  Fees for the probate of an estate are set by statute in California.  They are a percentage of the Gross Estate and are as follows according to Internet research:

Gross Probate Estate excludes assets held in a manner which avoids Probate. [Excluded from Probate are assets held in a Living Trust, or by Joint Tenancy, Life Insurance payable to a beneficiary other than the estate, Retirement Plans, and any other "pay on death" assets.]

The Gross Probate Estate is the total value of the estate BEFORE reduction for debts. If a house is worth a million bucks, but it has a mortgage of the same amount, there is no value to anyone but the lawyer, who gets a $23,000 Probate Fee.

The new 2002 percentages are:

first $100,0004% =$4,000
next $100,0003% =$3,000
next 800,0002% =$16,000

A $1,000,000 gross value estate is worth $23,000 in fees to a lawyer who charges the Statutory Fee, even if the net value of the estate is worth a lot less after reduction for mortgages and other debts.  If there are "complications," extra fees are allowed, with Court approval which is routinely granted.

Things as you wrote them sound a bit odd.  You should seek an attorney yourself for consultation. Try here at for starters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption